« Farrey's | Main | Discount Disney Tickets »

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Is Microwave Popcorn A Health Hazard?

This morning on Good Morning America, there was a story about micowave popcorn, of all things. For some reason, the chemical they use to give the treat it's buttery smell also has a side effect for some factory workers....lung disease. The chemical name is diacetyl.

Now, I know that there are a multitude of things out there that will do horrible things to us if we eat too much or play too much or anything too much, but get real. This is a workplace hazard. Yet, they have to debate whether it is also toxic in the home. Hello!!! The fumes are the problem regardless of where you find them...be it home or workplace.

I think it's time to take a hard look at what factories use for their products even though they tell us how wonderful the item may be.

Here is the story from GMA:

Could Microwave Popcorn Be Toxic?

May 16, 2007

Microwave popcorn is one of America's favorite couchside snacks, but the butter flavor is raising questions about whether the crunchy treat could be dangerous to something other than the waist.

The chemical that helps create microwave popcorn's buttery aroma has been linked to serious health issues for workers who make the snack.

After working for 10 months at a St. Louis, Mo., flavoring company, 53-year-old Jerry Blaylock developed a life-threatening disease commonly called popcorn lung, which is linked to the chemical diacetyl. Now his once healthy lungs can hold just 45 percent of breathing capacity.

"I've got grandkids and we used to go to the zoo and amusement parks, but I no longer can do it," Blaylock said.

Let someone know what you think! They have people on this site telling others "well, we have to die sometime." Oh really? Do we want to speed that along?? I think not.